Q: When will the new Lead Based Paint Regulations take effect?
A: September 15, 2000.
Q: Which units will be affected by the new LBP requirements?
A: Units where children under age six live and were built before January 1, 1978. SRO’s 0-bedrooms, elderly/handicapped units where children are not expected to live, and units certified to be lead free are exempt from the requirements.
Q: What areas of the unit will be effected?
A: All painted surfaces – interior, exterior and common areas servicing the unit.
Q: What are the de minimus areas?
A. Areas less than: 20-square feet on exterior surfaces, 2 square feet on interior surfaces, and 10% of small component.
Q: What are the tenants’ responsibilities in regard to the new LBP requirements, effective September 15, 2000?
A: Receive and read the HUD/EPA/CPSC pamphlet “Protect Your Family From Lead In Your Home” and:
- Sign the Lead-Based Paint Disclosure form.
- Notify your landlord of peeling or chipping paint.
- Wash your children’s hands often, especially before eating and sleeping.
- Keep play areas clean. Keep children from chewing window sills or other painted surfaces.
- Don’t try to remove lead-based paint yourself.
- Get your children tested if you think your home has high levels of lead.